Thursday, August 26, 2004

The Complacency Tax

Today the moderator of a local e-group I’m on advised us to check how much we are paying our Internet service providers and find out whether we can get a better deal. I took his advice and was astounded to find that I have been paying an outrageously high monthly rate for an Internet speed so low it isn’t even marketed anymore. But that’s going to change very soon; effective midnight tonight, I’ll be getting a rate of speed several times faster at less than half the price I’ve been paying.

I’ve heard this phenomenon referred to as the “complacency tax.” We accept the given rate and stay there for months. And although Internet companies run specials all the time, they don’t tell their existing customers about them. It’s up to us to take the initiative. Once we do, we can get a better deal with one phone call.

Like I just did. Thanks, Moderator—you know who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. If you're a spammer, don't waste your keystrokes. If you're a real, honest-to-goodness commenter, welcome!