Monday, June 06, 2005

Yom Yerushalayim

David at Treppenwitz brings us the original radio broadcast of the liberation of the Old City of Jerusalem on this day in 1967. Listen closely and have your tissues ready. You’re going to need them.

(Bit of trivia: I’ve recorded in Avi Yaffe’s studio, where this recording is archived. Next time I’m there, I should ask what else he’s got.)

Here’s Meryl’s roundup.

Here is a translation of Haim Hefer’s column for this day in 1967: “The Paratroopers Cry.”

For Hebrew speakers, here are the lyrics to the songs associated with the national observances of this time of year: Yom ha-Shoah, Memorial Day, Independence Day and Yom Yerushalayim.

Finally, here is my translation of one of my favorite songs about Jerusalem. (I really hope I’m not breaking any copyright laws here.) The quote mentioned in the refrain is from Isaiah 62:6.

Watchman on the Walls
Lyrics: Dan Almagor
Music: Benny Nagari
I stand upon the wall,
in the rain, alone, the entire Old City
laid out in the palm of my hand and, in love, I gaze at it.
I always come up here just to have a look,
only this time I’m here on duty.
(Refrain:) Yes, who would have dreamed, back in school,
when we learned to recite “Upon your walls, O Jerusalem,
I have posted guards,”
that one day I would be one of them?
I stand upon the wall,
listening to the sounds,
voices from the market and the commotion:
the shouts of peddlers and wagons.
Here’s the call of the muezzin,
the peal of the bell—but I must be alert
for the sound of a grenade.
Yes, who would have dreamed ...
I stand upon the wall,
trembling with cold and looking out. The sun has already set.
Watchman, how goes the night? The full moon’s light
Washes the walls and gates. When will the day come
When we don’t need watchmen anymore?
Yes, who would have dreamed ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. If you're a spammer, don't waste your keystrokes. If you're a real, honest-to-goodness commenter, welcome!