Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Jerusalem Wildlife

I had a lot of fun with my camera today after work. (Picasa helped, too.)

Unlike the speaker in Tom Lehrer’s “Hunting Song,” who had to shlep home two game wardens, seven hunters and a cow, I returned from my expedition with pictures of some local Jerusalem fauna: the Palestine sunbird who hangs out in our yard, a parakeet couple and two cats. Here they are.

Mr. Sunbird sips some nectar ...

Palestine Sunbird sipping nectar

Who else do you know who can eat lunch upside down?

Palestine Sunbird sipping nectar upside down

Ahhh. That hit the spot.

Palestine Sunbird taking a break

In brief flight. I caught this one by accident.

Palestine Sunbird in flight

Later in the day: Almost bedtime for the local Jerusalem parakeet population ...

Parakeet on tree branch, just before bedtime

The parakeet in the tree appears to be the mate of the parakeet in the photograph below. (The sunbird has a mate, too, but I haven’t been able to photograph her yet.) I don’t know what was happening here, but judging from the vocal exchange that went on between them, I’d guess that the parakeet in the tree was saying: “Come on, honey, it’s time to go to sleep,” while its mate, on the building, insisted: “Just a little longer, dear. I’ll be right there, I promise.”

Parakeet on building

On my way home, a most irresistible tiger took over my lap. I had no choice but to yield ...

Kitten facing road

Well, all right, he just looks a bit like a tiger. Cute little fellow, isn’t he?

Kitten facing camera

And finally: Her Ladyship snoozing on a convenient stone wall. Ahhh, this is the life ...

Her Ladyship snoozes on the stone wall

I tell you, that cat has it made.

Check out this week’s Friday Ark at The Modulator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. If you're a spammer, don't waste your keystrokes. If you're a real, honest-to-goodness commenter, welcome!