Thursday, September 29, 2005

A Silly Recollection as the Holidays Approach

I’ve never cared much for seafood. When my family went to fish restaurants during my childhood, I would scan the menu anxiously, searching for a “Landlubber Special” section and sighing with relief when I found it.

I guess that my lack of enthusiasm for seafood made the transition a bit easier when I started keeping kosher nearly twenty years ago. But as with all things, there’s another side to the story.

Some years ago I mentioned to a friend of mine that because of a salmon allergy, I don’t eat lox, that most basic of Jewish foods. With a shocked gasp, her voice hushed with trepidation, my friend asked me:

“Do you believe in one God?”

(Yes, she was kidding.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. If you're a spammer, don't waste your keystrokes. If you're a real, honest-to-goodness commenter, welcome!