Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Chemistry, Revisited

Years ago, I heard of a simple and economical way to polish silver that uses baking soda, hot water and aluminum foil. Today, I decided to try it for the first time.

Here’s what I did:

In one container, I combined several tablespoons of baking soda with about a liter of boiling water. Then I poured the mixture into a saucepan with a sheet of aluminum foil on the bottom. Finally, I put the items that I wanted to polish inside and let them soak for fifteen to twenty minutes.

When I took the items out of the saucepan, I washed them off with a bit of detergent. They’re now gleaming like new.

My chemistry teacher would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated. If you're a spammer, don't waste your keystrokes. If you're a real, honest-to-goodness commenter, welcome!